Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Wicked's ten-year anniversary approaches

Greetings, all!

Tomorrow, October 30, 2013, Wicked will celebrate its ten-year anniversary. Ten magical years on Broadway! Woo, yay, applause!

Wicked is a truly remarkable show, a transcendent experience for so many theater-goers, and one that changed my life *not just for the better* [cue music] but also FOR GOOD.

(I went there. Don't groan. It would have been worse if I HADN'T gone there.)

But, to be perfectly honest, this ten-year anniversary shindig is bittersweet. Why? [Deep breath.] Because Unnaturally Green wants to be included!

I wrote Unnaturally Green as a kind of ode to Wicked. My admiration for the show, its creators, its team, and its green heroine, Elphaba, that I was so fortunate to play, is hopefully extremely apparent within its pages. Since then, my admiration has not dwindled, not by a long shot. If anything, I have even more respect for Wicked and its legacy.

What I'm bummed about is that I wish Unnaturally Green could be included, just a little, in the ten-year anniversary stuff.  Amidst all the celebration of Wicked and its legacy and how much the show means to fans, I thought it would be pretty cool for Wicked to give a brief shout-out to Unnaturally Green, or just, like, tweet about it, or mention it on Facebook, in some, small way as part of the festivities.

But, alas!

The thing is, I get it. Wicked is a giant thing. As an entity it's so ginormous, and multi-faceted, and the powers-that-be need to protect its legacy. It comprises countless people -- the hundreds upon hundreds of cast members, crew and creative team members, business associates, theater ushers... the list goes on. It's a powerful brand. And if Unnaturally Green isn't deemed up to par with this brand, then it makes sense that it shouldn't be endorsed, even with something as seemingly trivial as a tweet.

But....but...!

I don't want to sound self-pitying (maybe it's too late). I'm totally grateful to Wicked for having cast me, and for giving me the green light for the book. But I'm also super proud of Unnaturally Green, the reaction its garnered from Wicked fans and lovers of theater, and I believe it would only bring good into the world if it were shared -- especially with the people who most want to read it (the fans!).

I wanted to share my thoughts on this blog because it would be phony if I didn't. I believe that honest blogging is important. I couldn't not mention ten years of Wicked. Because that's really freaking cool! But I also couldn't not mention my feelings about Unnaturally Green feeling like the redheaded stepchild (no offense to redheads, I think you're amazing), tugging at the pant leg of Wicked being like, "Notice me! Notice me!"

In the end, I'll stop my huffing, eat some Halloween candy, and be okay. I'll be more than okay! See, I'm a writer. I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut. But then it's smooth sailing once I speak my piece.

That being said, I hope you all enjoy the ten-year anniversary, and to those of you who are going to see the show on Broadway tomorrow night: blow it a kiss for me!

Love,
Felicia


12 comments:

  1. Okay, we're gonna get a tweet. We will. I don't know how... but we will. The book and you both deserve it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha you guys are seriously awesome. Just so you know -- and while I appreciate the support -- nobody has to do anything for me! This was more a meditation on the situation, rather than a rallying cry! That being said, I am grateful to have such awesome readers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pre-ordered your book and got a signed copy and it is STILL one of my prized possessions. Something I show off to my friends a lot. LOOKY at my fancy signed book. I loved it and I brought it to college to read again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so weird to me that they won't promote it. Not that they were unaware it existed, but that they actually said no when requested. It's not like it's an unauthorized fan publication. You were a cast member. :P Oh well! You've got a loyal fanbase who will do their best to keep spreading the gospel via word of mouth for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well indeed! It's so great to hear you lend your support, Alayne. Can't even tell you how much it means!

      Delete
  5. You are my favorite.

    Wicked is this huge THING that seemingly monopolized the industry and draws in theatre-goers time after time. Whether or not this upcoming statement is about to be relevant, I have a hard time believing that people associate themselves with Wicked in the long-term because of the show itself. Well, maybe a little (because Lord knows I've been there). The story, the music. But it's definitely not the brand or the heads behind it all. Yes, everything behind Wicked (as any other comparable THING) was once *solely* necessary for growth, development, success, but that's not what has kept this show alive for so long. It's people. Real people, throughout all levels of this THING, that connect. After the honeymoon phase comes to an end (that's not to say that new people don't enter this phase daily), the people are still there; They're learning, sharing experience, loving on each other. That's what it's all about, right? That's why the same faces often appear. I see it play out every day, and you probably do, too. Unnaturally Green fosters that true fellowship, incapable of being replicated by tweets, giveaways, or celebrations.

    While I recognize that my claim means Wicked endorsing UG would further enhance this fellowship, my point is that UG is uniquely valuable, almost more so because it hasn't been promoted on the front line. The "extra" degree of intentionality behind readers (aka, discoverers of YOU) is prompted by the exhaust of Wicked-crazed "fuel" from the show. They feel they relate to Elphaba; they desire to apply her story to their lives, but there's a barrier. She's not real, and there's only so far she can go. Your story is real, and people who seek it are often looking to mesh Wicked into the real world; this, I believe, is why the connections form and are so vital in sustaining the show. Connections between real people who are all inspired by the same being, (presumably) by Elphaba. UG's separation from the Wicked empire offers you and your story in a relatable, less distant setting. A translator of cultures.

    I should have replaced each "they" and "people" with an all-inclusive "we."

    It's likely that none of this makes sense, as it is all my opinion and I, if we're being honest, know next to nothing. This could be seen as an exaggerated view, and I think I stand by it.

    But when it all comes down to it, of course I want Wicked to promote you. Because you stinkin' deserve it. :)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love this

      Delete
    2. Taylor, you're a stinkin' genius. Thank you for these kind words!!!

      Delete
  6. This made me so sad. When I was riding my "I just saw Wicked for the first time yaaaaay!" high, it was UG that kept it going and strengthened my love of the show, so much so that the moment tour tickets went on sale I bought them for my entire family, and ended up seeing it twice. UG is such an important part of so many people's Wicked experience, it's truly a travesty that the Powers That Be aren't recognizing it. Do know that I'll continue pushing it on every person who so much as mentions Wicked around me. It's an awesome book.

    ReplyDelete