Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 24, 2012

R.I.P. My Audiobook

So remember that time when I was like, "I'm going to make an audiobook of Unnaturally Green!"

Remember that time when I was like, "Actually it's too complicated for me to record and distribute the audiobook on my own!"

Oh okay: second thing is happening right now, in this post.

It is with heavy heart that I inform you my audiobook of my memoir has been kaput. Why? 

Here's the gist.

Unnaturally Green is a self-published book (meaning I wrote, marketed, printed and sold it myself); for this reason, it has many hurdles to leap when it comes to audiobook distribution. 

The audiobook industry, it turns out, is much more exclusive than the publishing industry, the latter of which lets people like me submit files of their books to services like CreateSpace and BookBaby so that they're available for purchase. In contrast, if I were to record my audiobook (which, by the way, I started to do; I got through to about Chapter Four until it dawned on me that I should investigate my distribution options first) it would be very difficult to sell it to all of you in a way that was streamlined, affordable and widely available.

Audiobook sites and services like iTunes and Audible.com curate their content thoroughly and 99% of the time look for publishing house-produced content; not just any schmoe (is that how you spell "schmoe?" or is it "shmoe") like me can submit their files and voila! have them available for download.

So, in summary:

No audiobook. Why? Lots of time to produce (it takes a long time to read a book aloud!) + no way to distribute = weird/unprofitable/frustrating experience.

My apologies, friends! I tried! I tried! 


2 comments:

  1. That's too bad! Someday the entire world will get how great of an author you are, and they'll go back to this little memoir-that-could and say "Hey Felicia, why don't you record this one as an audio as well?" and then all of us will rejoice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having been fortunate enough to have heard you read from U.G., this is definitely a disappointing situation. The one thing that has kept me from buying audio books in the past is the fear that I will not enjoy the way it is being read. I'm sorry that people who rely on audio books (and I'll be one, temporarily, as I'm getting a nip/tuck next week, LOL) won't get to hear you tell your story as only YOU can!

    ReplyDelete