Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Different kind of beautiful

Our culture exalts conventional beauty above all else. It wins out in so many spheres. Except books. On the page, beauty can be anywhere: in turns of phrases, perfect dialogue, sentences that stoke the imagination. The mundane can be spectacular; beauty can be anything it wants.

Except conventional. If writing is conventional, you've got to edit, revise, edit, revise.

In the world of words, who cares if her face is symmetrical? What is she feeling? What is she discovering? What beautiful lesson is being learned? 

This, my friends, is one of the many reasons I love books.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right. I learned some important lessons along these lines when I first got on the internet, meeting people on chat boards, and I don't mean romantic set ups per se, just friendships. I loved that nobody was judged by appearance, size, skin color, age. No one knew these things. We got to know the inner person, the inner beauty of them. It was a very different experience. You really got to see how prejudices affect your visual life. When I write, I'm often inclined to write in first person just so the reader can put themselves in the character's place, and not be picturing a specific set of visual cues. Words paint a much more important picture than, well, an actual picture sometimes.

    ReplyDelete