Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Rediscovering greenness

As 2012 approaches, I've been thinking a lot about the direction I should take this blog now that my book Unnaturally Green has been born, continues to grow, coo and spit up his baby food with each passing day. Sure, I'll continue to post book-related announcements, like --


2) A live web chat in 2012! (More info soon!)

3) New York City book event, January 24, 2012, at Housing Works! Hear me and some other theater-book authors talk about stuff! (More info soon!)

-- but what of the day to day? Then it occurred to me. I needed to get back to my roots. This has proven valuable at moments of uncertainty (I call it "Life Lesson 101"). So, I asked myself: What is the core tenet of this blog? What is the essence of Unnaturally Green? And it struck me, clear as day:

To embrace greenness.

Readers, you wrote about greenness in your brilliant contest entries -- times when you had to step outside yourself and do something new. Unnaturally Green (the book) is about a time when I had to conquer lots of new challenges. So I've decided to devote my blog entries to keeping that green spirit alive. 

My posts may become less announcement-centric, and more anecdotal. The goal is to chronicle new experiences, and to share with you the stuff I do each day that I've never done before. It may get mundane, it may get inspirational, it may get completely random. If I see a new movie or read a new book, I'll tell you about it. If I discover something new and helpful about singing technique, I'll tell you about it. If I read an inspirational article about somebody doing something new and incredible, I'll tell you about it. If I trip and fall in a manhole, I'll tell you about it. 

This may seem a bit unfocused for now, but I'm hoping that the blog will find its own natural groove. Ideally, I would like it to be a compendium of greenness. Fragmented, maybe. But surprising. Hopefully fun to look back on. Collaborative (I'm going to make submitting post ideas easier), and communal.

This blog-makeover may take a while, so bear with me. But I wanted to let you guys know.

Leave comments below if you have thoughts! And look for an updated landing page soon with an idea submission form.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant! Pushing your readers into new areas of "greenness" is to push them into new experiences. What is life if we aren't constantly venturing out into greener pastures?

    Brilliant, I say!

    ReplyDelete