Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

How to Sing Defying Gravity

**UPDATE FROM THE FUTURE! 11-3-13** I have just released a comprehensive online belting course called Belt Your Face Off! With 24 videos and nearly 4 hours of content, this course teaches you everything you need to know about belt-singing. And if you link through this blog you get $20 off!

I first saw WICKED on Broadway as a 19 year-old, in which the goddess known as Shoshana Bean played Elphaba, its green-skinned protagonist. Aside from being struck by how awesome the musical was in general, mostly I couldn't understand how Shoshana sang all those freaking high songs. Cuz, like, those songs be high and hard, like. Many years later, after playing the role myself, sometimes under less than ideal circumstances, I have a few tricks up my own sleeve.

Wanna see??? (Click below for "Defying Gravity" and "The Wizard and I" singing tips!)

5 comments:

  1. This is awesome, Felicia! It feels like there will be an Unnaturally Green The Movie after the book... hahaha! I hope you will be green on Broadway someday. Your voice is too lovely to be kept under wraps. :-)
    - Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. VOCAL MAGIC. Girl, how you make those crazy sounds into words?! Hero. You are mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! I love your book and will use this song to audition for Into The Woods at my high school. These were great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Felicia! I love the song Defying Gravity and this really improved the way I sing it. And I'm only 11!
    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this video! My friend and I are singing Defying Gravity in our school talent show (I'm Elphaba) and this helped a ton! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete