Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 24, 2011

It feels good to say "no"

In the past week, I have forged new professional ground.

I have said "no."

That's right! I, Felicia Lisbeth Five-Trick Pony Ricci, have just turned down three concerts and two plays. And I feel really bleeping good about it.

No, (<--there it is again!) I'm not writing this to instigate an indulgent, communal ego-stroking, wherein everybody who reads this "oohs" and "aahs" at how popular I am, then writes about it in the comments (although I cannot stop you!).

On the contrary, I wish merely to recount the extremely novel, somewhat surreal, experience of drawing a hard line. And sticking to it.

Setting boundaries can be hard for an actor. The theater industry is designed in the opposite way. Many people believe that if you want to make it in the biz, you'd better be prepared to do anything and everything people ask of you (within reason, you sicko!). So if you're an actor on a mission, primed and ready to make a splash, it's in your best interest to get involved as much as you can, cultivating professional relationships, honing your craft through new, unpublished work, and, well, saying "yes" to everything and anything. This can be a wonderful and exciting practice.

But for those of us who are unsure...who need to examine the road signs before continuing down what they thought was the right path...

"No" is a beautiful word indeed.

4 comments:

  1. As long as you feel good and think it's the best for you then YES it's all good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, so popular!! Must be so exciting!

    Many best wishes for the road ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After the "no"s I suspect the "yes"s will be just right.
    Just remember, we miss your voice, 'cuz we know how good it can be. We will wait, as you are doing, for the right moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staying true to oneself should take precedence over all else. I'm confident that you are on the right path!

    ReplyDelete