Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Trinity Youth Shelter benefit recap!

Blogoriffic Blogfriends!

This past Sunday I had the pleasure of performing in a benefit for Trinity Place, the GLBTQ youth shelter, alongside Shoshana Bean, Joey Taranto, Carrie Manolakos, Donna Vivino, Scott Alan, Neil Davis, Breedlove, SIRPAUL, Joe Hubrich, and my special friend and life-mate Libby Servais. The event was hosted by the brilliant Bianca Del Rio, who as a drag queen is much more attractive than I'll ever hope to be.

It was a rollicking, heartfelt evening, which is no surprise, given that it was organized from start to glittery finish by the inimitable Rob Harmon, who is a kickass makeup artist / general guru (I know Rob because he painted me green for a week when I was doing Wicked (he was the one who said on good authority that I was the sweatiest Elphaba to date)).

To kick off the event, Libby and I sang "I Will Never Leave You," a throwback to our Wicked standby days, when we literally never left each other's side, and then we hosted the first live auction of the night (of which there were many more throughout the evening). Um, live auctions are so much fun. It's the one instance in which the forces of peer pressure can be wielded for good!

Of course it was a treat to be able to watch the other performances, and I also got to reunite with several of my former Wicked castmates, many of whom were in attendance. What's more, I got a chance to talk to Shoshana Bean! She's the first gal I ever saw perform the role of Elphaba, so naturally I was starstruck. I don't entirely remember the details of our interaction, but I have a vague recollection of telling her, "I follow you on Twitter." There are some instances in which I can parlay my awkwardness into charisma; this wasn't one of those instances. She was exceedingly gracious, nevertheless.

Wanna see some photos from the night? Check out BroadwayWorld.com here and Playbill.com here.

Okay that's all for now! Bye!
--FR

3 comments:

  1. You aren't the only one that has told some one you follow them on Twitter when you met them in person. ;) I did the same thing when I met Diana Degarmo after 9 to 5. ;) Hahaha We all get star-struck, even the professionals. ;) And great song to perform too; you and Libby sound so amazing in that video. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it was an amazing night and for what I have watched Libby and you sound great, I really love the video.
    I wish I could see you perform some day (but between the fact that I live int he other corner of the worl and that I just run away... I don't think it would happen). I have always love your blog, you should write more!!". Best wishes, hope everything turns out great for youu, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is great to hear that even stars are starstruck by stars

    ReplyDelete