Total Pageviews

Friday, August 20, 2010

Fact of the Day #15

This post isn't going to be too thrilling for those of you who aren't super familiar with the show, but at the very end of WICKED, Fiyero re-emerges after the ensemble sings a brief reprise of "Good news, she's dead...the wickedest witch there ever was, the enemy of all of us here in Oz, is deeeeeead...." As he walks out there's a melody in the orchestra that is a deconstructed version of the Scarecrow's solo from "The Wizard of Oz," which is (although sans lyrics): "I could while away the hours." Eh? Eh? Stephen Schwartz, you're such a sasser.

At the very least, this post is a fine prologue to my next post, which will be about the time I sat in the orchestra pit for an entire show. Let me tell you, it's a jungle down there! And by "jungle" I mean "highly disciplined group of prodigiously talented people sitting in chairs, wearing black, and being unflinchingly attentive." If that doesn't scream jungle, I don't know what does.

Stay tuned!
--FR

9 comments:

  1. Discovering your blog this week has been quite fun. Taking the time to go back and read your entries had me laughing and appreciating the hard work that goes into each and every aspect of the show. Thank you for sharing. I am taking my son (almost 9 years old) to see Wicked on the 29th as his early birthday gift. Very excited to see his response to his first show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, nice! I love reading about all the little orchestral nuances Schwartz put into the show, all the refrains and deconstructions and the way he reuses melodies throughout but always twists them inside out and backwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Felicia!
    This is a gem! I only knew about "Somewhere over the rainbow" starting the "Unlimited" theme. But it's only the first 7 notes of "I could while away the hours" due to copyright law, right? Ooooh that Stephen Schwartz is devious... in a good way! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your extensive vocabulary kind of makes me pee myself with inferiority.
    And your sense of humor is amazing. I used to think I was funny then I read your blog and was like, "umm. no". You're hilarious and I can't wait to read about the "jungle"

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I ever want to learn something new about Wicked, just have to click on your blog! :) Love all these facts and I went back and listened to that part and heard it. ;) Thanks for all the tidbits and looking forward to your next post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job in the early show today. I didn't even realize you were the standby until after the show was over and my friend said that you weren't the usual performer for Elphaba. You've got some nice pipes...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw the show last night (my 5th time seeing Wicked) and you were fabulous! I am a huge Wicked fan and saw the show for the first time in San Francisco before it opened on Broadway. I was so happy to discover your blog and I've been catching up on it from the beginning. It's so fun to read about backstage at Wicked and what life is like for the Elphaba standby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I am excited for the next one. I am a total band geek, can't wait to hear about what goes on during the show down there. Awesome show by the way. Caught it a couple weeks ago, for the third time. Your blog is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just saw your dad the other day and was telling him we follow your blog. He was keeping me up to date with the latest but I thought I'd stop by today and check it out. Low and behold, there's a video. Cool. You really did memorize it. :)

    ReplyDelete