Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Fact of the Day #11

Today's FOTD (pronounced "fah-tud," as if you're saying "farted" with an upper-crust British accent-- because even people of high social ranking fart) is not super duper exciting, so I'll finish it up with a bonus juicy tidbit.

Throughout WICKED there are a number of pre-recorded sound cues that are made to sound as if they are being spoken/sung live. They include, but are not limited to:

1) The mysterious lover's singing voice at the top of Act I and its second iteration in Act II ("Have another drink, my dark-eyed beauty...")
2) The Oz Head's thunderous speaking voice ("I am Oz, the great and terrible!" etc.)
3) Elphaba's melting scream

Bonus juicy tidbit: As a member of the WICKED ensemble (before I became Elphaba Standby) I would underdress my street clothes beneath my mob coat costume from "March of the Witch Hunters" through the remainder of the show! My costume was very roomy and bulky and made it easy to wear a many number of outfits without them showing. (No harm, no foul!)

10 comments:

  1. are those the only 3 recordings like that? i thought there were more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about visual tricks? Like is it really Boq that comes out from the chair as the newly minted Tin Man? That's a lot of make-up changing going on behind the mirror in a VERY short period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I thought Boq's part at the end of The Wicked Witch of the East was also pre-recorded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoaa that's cool,
    i love learning juicy stuff about stuff. :DD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Felicia, i have read your blog for a while now, and i have 2 questions:

    1) Lets say Marcie Dodd gets very sick and can't perform, and you also get very sick and can't perform, and Alyssa Fox gets very sick and cant perform, what happens?

    2) Also what would happen if all the leads got sick and all the understudys/standbys had to go on? would there be enough swings? if not what would happen?

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are just some of the pre-recorded sound cues -- it's not an exhaustive list. As for visual tricks, indeed there are many, but I try not to spoil too much of the theater magic for future audiences :)

    To answer Kevin's questions: 1) I don't know what would happen! This would be highly unlikely, and as far as I know it's never happened.
    2) There have been days when many swings and understudies have had to go on, and resources were so thin that the swings had to perform "split" tracks-- where they essentially play two or more ensemble roles in one show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, spoil away...the technical stuff is fun for nerds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Naw... Pleeeeease!! Pwetty Pwease with a cherry on top? *puppy dog eyes*
    Totally agree with anon- the tech stuff is fun for us nerds. I am sure that most people reading this blog would have seen the show before so definitely not spoiling anything ;)

    I always found it amusing when swings did split tracks... Especially since the one time I saw an ensemble member perform a split track down here in Aus she was doing a male ensemble track so the partner dancing looked incredibly hilarious.

    ps, hoping to send fan mail some time soon-ish.. I was wondering if you had any idea if there was any special stamp-like-thing I would have to put on the SASE so it could be sent to Aus? Every person that I have asked has been clueless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, but it would feel so good if you did :)

    ReplyDelete