Total Pageviews

Monday, April 12, 2010

Bittersweet Board-dom

Let's get one thing straight: I love my job.  It is awesome, and thus far has felt like a delicious hybrid of childhood fantasy, extreme sport, mental-endurance test, and adoption by an ever-expanding, kooky creative family.

Let's get one other thing straight: sometimes it is boring.  But that's okay.  Lots of things that are awesome can also be boring, like the Discovery Channel, or any novel by Victor Hugo.

As Elphaba standby, it is my job to be available at a moment's notice should our leading lady get sick or, for whatever reason, call out mid-show.  On days when I'm not performing (which, for the past week, was everyday), I have the privilege to wile away my hours in a shared dressing room with the impossibly delightful Libby Servais, our Glinda standby.  But that's not the only thing we share!  We also share laughter, tickles, secrets, rainbows, bunnies!


In all seriousness, much of being a standby consists of inventing ways to amuse oneself, while staving off the sting of existential uncertainty.  Some of Libby's and my recent Standby Activity Brainchildren include: 1) Buy complementary Snuggies and/or Slankets, one pink, one green, to lounge around in, and to 2) wear in ironic glamor photo shoots; 3) Learn guitar (as inspired by the song stylings of former Elphaba standby Carrie Manolakos (look for her upcoming solo album!), who used to regale the cast backstage with her lovely tunes); 4) Shampoo, comb and style the blonde Jessica Simpson hair piece Libby inexplicably owns in order to 5) wear it in ironic glamor photo shoots; 6) Learn French (I have so far completed one beginner lesson with Rosetta Stone!); 7) Draft a handwritten letter to Vanilla Ice and see if he writes back; 8) Work out to Jane Fonda and/or other aerobics videos that were shot in the 70s so that we look fierce in our 9) ironic glamor photo shoots; 10) Play lots and lots of board games.

Item 10 happily comes with a fun assortment of photos, snapped during the time Libby and I played a two-day long game of Scrabble.  Because we are insane, we modified the rules to make them relate to WICKED: Player A earns five bonus points if, within five seconds, she can use Player B's word in a line or lyric from WICKED.  Example: "share" -- "and we're happy to share our ending vicariously with all of you" -- or, "Quox" -- "I've heard of an ox, a professor from Quox."  Rinse, repeat.

The game was an epic journey. We laughed, we cried, we took photos, which I will post below. Oh, and I won.  BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME, LIBBY! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ever yours,
Felicia.

(Click to enlarge.)










16 comments:

  1. That post made me laugh! ;) Good way to past away the time. Keep your brains sharp. ;) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. While going on as Elphaba is amazing in its own right, I have to say that I would be just as excited to be paid for having an excuse to have ironic glamour photo shoots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely played Scrabble game (and blog) except you can't use 'X-ray' because hyphenated words are illegal...Thanks for offering me a nice diversion from preparing my dreaded taxes. Great job at the Green Festival on Sunday! I wanted to say 'hi' to you after you sang but there was a nude woman covered in body paint blocking my way!!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. This is hilarious. I always wondered what the stand bys did while...standing by. Do we get to see glamour shot photos? Great blog btw. You have a nice writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. is "ouo" a word, or am i misreading it? and im excited for the snuggie/slanket pictures soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Felicia, don't be a tease. If you're going to suggest the existence of ironic glamor shots in Snuggies, you better deliver.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are TOO funny! Glad to see you're having a great experience out west.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for bringing such delight into our lives, Sweet Felicia!
    I, too, await the ironic glamour photos with bated breath...

    ReplyDelete
  9. FTW!! God how I want your job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job on modifying the rules of Scrabble to fit Wicked! Can you also attribute the downtime as the impetus to introducing Libby to the wonders of Twitter? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was one of my favorites! You and libby should switch costumes!!!!!!! Thats what the original Sf standys, Vicki Noon and Natalie Daradich would do. It would be cool to see you guys in diffrent costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Felicia, great blog as always. By the way, there is a poll on Broadway is Wicked..and the poll of the month is “Which is your favorite production of Wicked?” SF Wikies (SF WICKED fan we call ourselves) has been voting like crazy but a comment from Bettie sums it all, she states, “We’ve got Kendra. We had Teal and now Eden (with backup Felicia), Nicolas, Neka and Jodi…need I go on? WE ARE WICKED!” How wonderful is it to be in this great big group of love that appreciates art, music, talent and just common human bonding in this difficult tough economy time?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's amazing. I always wondered what standby's did... though I imagined you guys would be dressed in character, ready to jump on stage lol. I bet the rest of the cast is jealous :)

    And I'm going to steal that Scramble idea from you the next time me and my husband play lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was listening/watching Natalie Weiss on YouTube from suggestion from a blog, when I thought, hmmm [search]....There you were! (audio only) Fantastic and riveting job! Must be a tremendous rush singing DG with that orchestra behind (sorry, below) you! Loved hearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thus, a new standby bond is born! It's no wonder the stanbys, when they have the opportunity to go on together, have some of the best Wicked witch chemistry out there. I hope we get to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really hope you let us know if Vanilla Ice writes back.

    ReplyDelete